Friday, 13 September 2013

PHILIPPINE: Philippines stand-off

The Philippine government on Thursday warned Muslim rebels who have been holding more than 100 people hostage in a southern port city to peacefully end the four-day standoff "at the soonest possible time," saying its forces are ready to demonstrate the state's resolve.
It was the toughest talk by President Benigno Aquino III's administration since Moro National Liberation Front guerrillas occupied coastal communities and took scores of residents hostage in Zamboanga city.

The most serious security crisis to hit Aquino's administration began Monday when about 200 armed Moro rebels, who have been overshadowed by a rival group in talks with the government for a new Muslim autonomy deal, clashed with government troops who had foiled their plan to march through Zamboanga city and hoist their flag at city hall.
They then barged into five coastal villages and seized scores of residents to use as human shields as hundreds of elite army troops and police, backed by tanks, helicopters and navy gunboats, surrounded them.
Government forces engaged the rebels in a daylong exchange of gunfire Thursday in Santa Catalina village, where the insurgents were holding some of their hostages. The fierce clash ignited a blaze that gutted about 30 houses. Two Huey helicopters hovered as dark smoke billowed from the rebel-held coastal community.
As the fighting raged in Zamboanga, a separate group of about 150 insurgents led by the al-Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf attempted to set fire to a village and a wharf on the rural outskirts of predominantly Christian Lamitan city on nearby Basilan island. The attack was repulsed by government forces in an hour-long clash that left a government militiaman and an unspecified number of militants dead, and two soldiers wounded.
The four-day crisis has virtually paralyzed Zamboanga, a lively trading city of nearly a million people, with most flights and ferry services suspended. Communities near the clashes resembled a war zone, with armored troop carriers lining streets, troops massing at a school and snipers taking positions atop buildings pockmarked with bullet holes.
More than 15,000 villagers have fled the fighting. The Moro rebels signed a peace deal in 1996, but did not lay down their arms and later accused the government of reneging on a promise to develop long-neglected Muslim regions. They have felt left out as government talks with a rival insurgent group have steadily progressed toward a new Muslim autonomy deal.
By Jennifer Birich
AFP Blogger